Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sushi in Paris?

I know, I know, I know...don't even start... BUT seriously this place is insanely good.  It's a hole in the wall Japanese restaurant somewhere at the sides of Champs-Elysees and if my sister tells me I have to eat there ... well... you know me...

The premise of the story is, I was walking the entire day looking for a restaurant (another story) and then went looking for another patisserie (which I didn't find) and then I went up the Eiffel tower, then I got lost (another story)

So, my feet were slightly sore (thanks to my awesome shoes), but my knees were stiff and I was walking like a grandma.

Then I went back to the 6th floor apartment to meet my sister for dinner.   The 6th floor apartment in an old French building.  NO elevators.  Did I mention it was a spiral staircase? The things I learned in Atlanta (the cursing like a man part) was really handy during this time.

So anyway, after resting for about 10 or 15 minutes, we went back down (me of course, cursing the entire way down) and rode bus 92 to Charles de Gaulle Etoile where we went down near Arc de Triomphe and walked along Champs-Elysees... (me of course, cursing the entire way down)

When we got to Champs-Elysees, my sister said: “Sorry! medyo malayo pa”.  (She did warn me before hand it was a bit of a walk - I just didn't realize it was that much!)

We were walking at snails pace and I was being all touristy and was exclaiming how the buildings were gorgeous so naturally I didn’t notice we’ve walked halfway down Champs-Elysees already.  After turning left, we walked down some more, and then some more before she told me to turn right and said the restaurant will be right there.  Well, it turns out it’s at the end of a long street, but as any good foodie will do, I silenced the complaints of my unbending stiff knee and waddled along.

The restaurant we were looking for, had no big sign in French or English outside.  It will never catch your eye as you’re walking down the street because it simply had this as a sign:

(my sister, giddy that we found it)

We started off with clams in sake which were very good, that I almost forgot to take a picture

Grilled beef which was also good, very tender but needed a little more salt for my taste (but still very good i'll eat it again!)

Our first selection was eel, squid, really good tuna part (the one with white) and really really really good tuna part (in marbled red)

I've heard before that real sushi in Japan has the wasabi squeezed between the fish and rice.  This sushi was like that (see the top right with squid sushi - you'll see the wasabi) and the amount of heat when you bite into it is perrrfect.

The marbling of the four tuna sushi at the lower right will tell you that this is Otoro - the fattest part of the tuna.  Not in the menu, so you have to tell the Sushi master to go make you one.

Notice how looonngg the fish is, in relation to the rice? you can almost wrap it around the rice.

Our next course is tuna again, salmon roe, mackarel (one with green on top)

Scallops and egg (each one is awesome and makes you go mmmm.... mmmmm....)

The next one we had Otoro again, Sweet prawn sushi, and more squid!

Notice how each sweet prawn sushi really has 3 baby prawn on top? It really lives up to the sweet prawn name!

Ika Sushi - I never really liked squid sushi, but this made me a believer.... Because it was our second round of ordering squid sushi, the Sushi master added a leaf of some sort.  I can't really place it!  It tasted like a cross between basil and mint, I was seriously stumped, but it was really really really good.

I heart the sushi master

I am totally ruined.  I will never like any sushi again, unless I go to Japan (or back to Paris!)

...

...

...

Oh right, the story started with my feet and should end with that.  Well, It was still numb but I totally forgot about it and happily started skipping back to Champs-Elysees (for about 5 minutes then the pain set back in)

8 comments:

  1. super duper jen! hanap tayo nang ganito sa Atlanta tapos punta tayong dalawa :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. RC - hindi na pwede yung Benihanna, kahit pinoy ung chef, hanap na tayo nang iba ehehhe

    ReplyDelete
  3. bat ano nangyari sa benihanna.. hehe sori inde na updated. how abt ung Ru-Sans ..don nagpunta mga taga lindbergh ng mag celebrate ng bday sina eynna, 3-4 lang out of 5 stars though un mga nakikita kong reviews sa web

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fusion na kasi yun Jen - iba talaga lasa nito :-) Di ko type yung Ru-sans mashado, gusto ko lang dun ung sake mojito ehehehe

    ReplyDelete