Thursday, October 2, 2008

When getting lost is worth it (Part 1)

Food... ahhh the food.  I was never a fan of French food. I've always thought of their food as just... well... pretty, fancy and loaded with butter.   So I was determined to find out and taste as much as I could in the few days I was in Paris.  I was actually panicked that a person can only eat 3 times a day (which today's story will prove wrong).

I was reading a few food blogs to find out recommended restos that are reasonably priced and decided to make Le Comptoir my first project.  Because i'm an absolute idiot, I thought the Metro line number and stop is enough to get me where I wanted to be (Building number and street be damned).  When I got to the metro stop at Odeon and walked into the sunlight, a stream of people greeted me. And as I looked around, giddy that I made it, the reality dawned on me that ... sh@#@#!! there is not one, not two, not three directions to go at the Odeon exit.  There were actually 6. Six!!!!  What?!?!?!

And so begins my tale of getting lost.

It was 11:00 AM when I got to the Odeon station, and though there were many people in the street, there was no clear direction of where people were going for lunch.   So I decided to explore the street nearest me and after 15 minutes of walking (and berating myself for being such an idiot) I decided to go back to the station and explore the other streets. 

Street 1... no

Street 2... no

Street 3... no

Aaaahhh!!! So I went back to the Odeon station (for fear of getting more lost) and I noticed the stream of people walking briskly to lunch.  So, I went and followed :-)  Unfortunately, when we went into the street, the street branches out to two more streets and after walking down both and not finding Le Comptoir, I was soooo famished I decided to go to the nearest restaurant I could see.  Les Editeurs.

With my first attempt at being independent in Paris a failure, I was kind of down in the dumps until I spied upon this at the Les Editeurs menu:  Soupe à l’Oignon Gratinée

Hmmm... quite right.  I've never really wanted onion soup before.  Had it once and I was not impressed, but since i'm here....  It came to me all covered up with yellow goo that is actually half an inch worth of broiled cheese. When you cut into it, the sweet brown broth will come rushing to greet you and you'll be intrigued with the soaked bread in the soup.  Yup soaked bread.  This is not light food people.  But it is spine-tingly good.  My sister said this is a hangover meal, best eaten after drinking.  I can only imagine.

For my actual meal (as if I wasn't full enough with the soup) I decided on getting duck in honey and citrus glaze with polenta.  Now a few weeks before I left for Paris another colleague of mine was in Italy and she was cursing off polenta.  I was kind of scared to order it because I didn't want to be disappointed with my food (feet still aching at this point and I-must-be-happy!!)

Magret de Canard Rôti au Miel et aux Agrumes, Polenta

The duck was perfectly tender, didn't have as much fat in it as I thought it would and the honey with citrus sauce was just, just, just amazing. 

The polenta as you can see above looked like it was fried with the same glaze as the duck, so it was f*!#@! awesome.  My eyes were rolling in glee.

Now that I was satiated a bit,  I decided to look around and from my vantage point inside the resto, I was in prime position for people watching. As I looked outside, I had to blink a couple of times because... is it? is that resto the....Is it truly??!  Blimey.  I really am an idiot.  Oh at least I know where it is now (tomorrow I won't look so lost)

After finishing my gorgeous lunch, (notice - no dessert I was too full) I decided to go to the Eiffel tower (we were there the night before, but as lucky as I was, the bathroom was calling me and we had to run back to the apartment)  When I got to Trocadero, my intention was just to take pictures, be a mega-tourist and go up the world-famous monument.  But as luck would have it, rows of familiar brown and white bottles stopped me in my tracks.  Mmmmm... nutella... from a crepe stand... in Paris... mmmmmmmmm too good to pass up.

Whoever invented Nutella + Banana in a crepe is genius.  So in the middle of the viewing area, I slumped on the floor and faced the beautiful one then ate my warm, freshly made crepe.  One of my favorite Paris moments.

...to be continued...

Unknown Crepe Stand
Metro 6: Trocadero

Les Editeurs
Metro 4: Odeon

Inside Les Editeurs

2 comments:

  1. You will really walk the world just to find a nice eating place. No wonder. Nice to know that you enjoy your stay Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. daddy!! ehehehe of course :-)
    i'm going to NY for my birthday :-)

    ReplyDelete