Monday, February 23, 2009

Sundays

Tawilis (small fishes) in beer batter (A great tasting, albeit failed experiment)

In our house, Sunday = seafood.  Lot's of it.

It's one of the things I sorely missed while I was away and is the only thing that wakes me up on Sundays.

Talaba (Oysters)

On my travels, I do make it a point to eat seafood, where books, magazines, and television say the seafood is great.

Sipit (Crab claws)

And though I don't like putting down other cultures and other cuisines, I am more often than not, disappointed with the fare provided.  Most of them are good because of the additional sauce added or manner of cooking that are done to them.  And even if they are good, they are not great, amazing, or mouthwatering enough that it makes you shiver in anticipation thinking of the next time you will eat it.  I do need to point out that being in a tropical country where our seas are spoiled with a lot of sun, our fishes tend to eat better, thereby, we the hunters eat better as well.  So even if we just boil our seafood, the result is sweet and tasty and does not require anything else added to it (although bagoong with mangga doesn't hurt)

And so, despite that Manila is a place where smog, heat and traffic is so bad, that it will make you turn the other way and run, I braved it all to come home to this:

Crabs and Oysters with white wine

I am so back.




Authors note:
1. No, we didn't have white wine with seafood before, it's one of the lovely perks of being an adult.
2. I am in no way talking about the seafood heavens Singapore and Thailand.  They, in my eyes, perfected the art of blending seafood with sauces so unbelievable, I do shiver in anticipation that I'm coming back to visit them.

No comments:

Post a Comment