Monday, September 7, 2009

Murderous Intent

I’ve always had penchant for danger and all things dark and mysterious, and have always been averse to dramatics…until I did this declamation piece when I was in 2nd year high school.  I was supposed to do Guilty or not guilty, but someone else did it in my class, so after she did her piece, I ran to the library and found another.   Then that night, I tuned in to the classical music station (98.3 I think) and rapidly committed this to memory since it was my turn the next day.  There’s something about this piece that speaks to the dormant schizophrenic in me (let’s hope it stays dormant permanently), and it made me fall in-love with the number 13 (yes I fall in-love with inanimate, intangible things).  My class was totally silent when I did this.  I’ve always wondered if it was the sheer shock at my talent, or the murderous intent in my eyes that shut them up.  Sigh, I guess I’ll never know.


Thirteen

Yes? Yes? Yes? What do you want? Why are you staring at me like that? Leave me alone!

Yes, I was pronounced guilty. But haven’t I suffered enough? Look at me, my hollow cheeks, the dark rings around my eyes, my wearied body; do they not show signs of hardships? Aren’t they enough to atone for the crime which I was accused of?

Yes, that crime! Crime!

Didn’t you know that Arturo and I first met on August 13? We were engaged on November 13. And during our 13th stage performance, Arturo and I had three curtain calls. One and three makes thirteen. Oh! What a lucky number!

I was in my dressing room, getting ready for the second act when my attention was attracted by a note lying on the floor. I picked it up and read it. “Belen Martinez, wishing you bad luck…” Who could’ve sent this? What could this mean? There was no signature.

Then, I stepped on a silver plate with the number 13 engraved in it. “Curtain Call for Act II!” shouted the director. In that act, I was to murder Arturo. After getting the dagger, from the drawer, I slowly approached the bed taking care not to awaken the sleeping hero. I thrust the dagger through Arturo’s head! Everything went black. I didn’t notice the curtain fell and the audience rose from their seats and shouted, “BRAVO!” “What a fine performance!” they said. A fine performance indeed, for Arturo was dead! I killed him but I didn’t mean to kill him. It was only an act. Yes, Arturo and I had a quarrel, but it was only a petty quarrel.

How could I kill Arturo when I loved him very much? Somebody must have tricked me! Somebody must have replaced the dagger!

The note, the number on the plate, that genuine dagger! Belen Martinez, a criminal? NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jailer, what is the date today? No, you don’t have to answer. I know it. I know why you came for me. It is my execution day. May 13. That number is driving me mad, mad, mad! No, no, no!

I am not a murderer! Belen Martinez, a killer?

Hahahahahah! Hahah! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Hahahaha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

13? 13? 13! 13!!! 13? 13?? 13! 13?? 13! 13! 13!!!! 13??? 13!!! 13...13! 13? 13..

p.s.
I got 2nd place, with a score of 97 on this one.  The lost 3 points was due to the softness of my voice when I said “Somebody must have tricked me”.   It was worth losing since the audience jumped when I screamed “Somebody must have replaced the dagger!”

No comments:

Post a Comment