Sunday, March 14, 2010

Silver Lining

When I was 20, I limped to the 5th floor at 7:00 in the morning, twice a week for one of my classes.  Physics I think. (The <insert expletive here> elevator only starts up at 8:00 AM and my class starts at 7:30).   Eventually my limp got so bad, that I needed to pick my legs up and push them off the bed one at a time just to get up.  We went to multiple doctors and they couldn't diagnose what it was, it was not regular arthritis and I felt like a patient from the show: House, but without the mad brilliant doctor.  

A year later I started having Psoriasis and jumped from one "reputable" doctor to another (or as I like to call them, charlatans) and spent thousands per week for treatments that didn't work.  I finally discovered Dra. Paliza in UST, and seeing my arthritis and my psoriasis she just said, "Uh huh, uh huh", then got my blood tested, made a prescription (less than 500 a week) and sent me on my merry way.  My arthritis was gone weeks later.

  • Psoriasis is a common skin condition affecting 2% of the Caucasian population in the United States (I don't know how many for Asians)
  • Approximately 10% of patients who have psoriasis also develop an associated inflammation of their joints. (So thats 10% of the 2%)
  • The onset of psoriatic arthritis generally occurs in the fourth and fifth decades of life. (Generally, get it?)
  •  The skin disease precedes the arthritis in nearly 80% of patients. The arthritis may precede the psoriasis in up to 15% of patients. (So I'm in 15% of the 10% of the 2%)
  • Psoriatic arthritis is a systemic rheumatic disease that can also cause inflammation in body tissues away from the joints other than the skin, such as in the eyes, heart, lungs, and kidneys.
  • Aside from arthritis and spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis can cause inflammation in other organs, such as the eyes, lungs, and aorta. Inflammation in the colored portion of the eye (iris) causes iritis, a painful condition that can be aggravated by bright light as the iris opens and closes the opening of the pupil (My eyes can't take bright light, but it's not painful yet)
  •  Acne has been noted to occur in higher frequency in patients with psoriatic arthritis (What?! pati to? 'Langya)
Now, why is this blog entry called silver lining? It's because despite me being in the 15% of the 10% of the 2% population of people with PA, my eyes, lungs and aorta are still fine.

So while that isn't happening yet, I'll see the world, walk the earth and do whatever bloody hell I want.

(Yes chili crab, you won't get away that easily. I'll be back.)

4 comments:

  1. hi renee.. miss you.. i like this entry thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. chili and pepper crab will always be waiting here in SG for you mama RR, mishu, mwahugs. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your post in PSORPHIL on FB.

    Thank you for sharing. I have scalp and inverse psoriasis at the moment, but I'm scared I may eventually have PA too. =( But like you said, it's not happening yet, so I'm still enjoying life.

    Again, you have my thanks. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewickajaney,
    Ugh, inverse psoriasis is the worst :( I had that before too, it was the most painful form of P for me. It's currently in remission (there is hope!). Go out and enjoy! Don't let anything stop you! :)
    Renee

    ReplyDelete